22 December, 2010

facebook and all that jazz

Ok, I know, but how could I NOT have a post about this?



First of all, you're considered an outcast if you don't have a Facebook account. And then it promotes voyeurism. Which is very hard to resist unless you're a saint in the Himalayas. But then last I heard, even highly reputed spiritual organisations have Facebook pages-to promote culture. Oh the irony.

Second, it is very, very disturbing to see little girls of twelve and thirteen change their "relationship statuses" every few days. Honestly, just how "complicated" has life gotten for a thirteen year old? I can already see anthropological studies in the future named "Social changes and stigma - The Facebook Era", or "Effect of networking - how Facebook transformed behavioral trends of a generation".

There is a barrage of statuses: moods, locations, love life (eeekkk!), blah, blah and more blah. Since when did we develop the sudden need to publish every single thought, action and non-action? Or did we always have this major craving to let the world know what brand of toothpaste we use, and couldn't, and then Zuckerberg gave us just the way out?

I still find some of the stuff pretentious. Sworn enemies being so courteous on Facebook they could put Michelle Obama to absolute shame-
 "yes dah-ling, you have SUCH a beautiful baby, it must feel great!" (I hope you never lose all that unwanted weight),
"Gorgeous babe" (Wait till you see MY pictures b****)
"very nice pic" /"you look great" / "wow" (I have nothing to say, but am obligated to because YOU said that to ME)

 The Facebook wall, is simply, a way to advertise just who you are, where you go, and what you do. Therefore the "My feet are killing me with all the dancing (million !!!'s ) that was such a killerrr parrtyyy yaarrr such-and-such place is very happening".

There are tons of things that are great, too. Who would've thought that the best way to advertise your candle-making skills, and increase your sales without having to pay a consultant, was a social networking site? At least I never thought that an author who's book I read would be my "friend". Also, there are some geniuses out there who make my day by posting some unbelievably hilarious links that get me through a very monotonous workday. And whether you are an entrepreneur, small business proprietor or a big time retail outlet, you just have to have a Facebook "presence". Social Media Marketing, is the next big thing, apparently.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad, but how does "liking"  Save The Tiger page, save the tiger? Or putting the colour of your un-mentionables help women with serious illnesses?

Food for thought : A newsfeed on my Facebook homepage read " Socalled Somesuch Likes Children With Disability"

No comments: